Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Day 96: Inspiration


I have reflected a lot about my situation over the last few weeks. I was so so close to being through the rough part of recovery before I got this second major blow. My surgery was absolutely traumatic the first time, requiring me to stay in the hospital for 4 days, nerve block didn't work, nor did the narcotics. I can't believe I have to go through that again!!! Ahhhhh! Well at least when I have a baby one day it should be easy compared to this, right?

I came across two quotes that helped me pull myself out of the darkness. 

"Don't let what you can't do keep you from what you can"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

I have refocused myself on finishing my PhD...which I am weeks away from finishing, because while it's hard to get around and a struggle to do the simplest tasks, my brain is just fine. However, now it is apparent that I will have to defend my dissertation in a cast from a wheelchair....yippee.

The second quote inspired me to dig up some of my old race photos and reminisce on how much fun I had. I was literally having the time of my life and the smiles I have on my face on my finish photos are absolutely priceless. No faking that kind of happiness. I know that being positive about all of this stuff is something I have to work on daily, so I am not out of the woods by any means, but it did help me to remember what has come before in my life. I am even more motivated to get back to the place that I can walk out of the door and go do anything physical that my heart desires.

Staying positive...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment