Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Monday, April 8, 2013

Day 83: Post-op Appointment #3

I went into this appointment with a lot of excitement over how well my left ankle has been progressing.  The transition out of the boot was tough and painful, but all worth it for where I am now.

We took X-rays and my doctor inspected my foot.  He said that my ankle is well ahead of schedule, but also said that my foot won't feel fully normal until the 9 month mark.  That is such a looooooong long time from now.  He also said that my bones are completely healed!  He ordered me to get my custom orthotics re-fitted for my left foot and to wear them religiously.










Per usual, I went in with a list of questions.  Here they are with my doctor's responses:

Questions

1) What should we do about my right foot?  I have noticed that my right foot seems to be more collapsed than it was before my left foot surgery.  The doctor confirmed that it is worse than when he started treating me for my left.  He told me that I would likely have to go through the same exact surgery for my right.  My eyes went wide and I froze in terror.  I had expected him to say it was going to be a less severe surgery...but he said it would be the same COMPLETE ANKLE RECONSTRUCTION! He said not to worry about it now, but that we would check on it at my 6-months post-op mark.

2) Left Foot Timeline? 

~Start weaning off brace now
~Don't have to sleep with the brace at night
~Can wear regular shoes for special occasions (only if I can walk in them!)
~Working up to running in 3 weeks
~Inversion/Eversion exercises allowed

3) Can I take ibuprofen again? Yes.  Your bones are completely healed.

4) Can I ride my bike outside? Yes!

-------------------

I left the office with a prescription for new orthotics (with a diagnosis of Bilateral PTTD...so sad), a new PT prescription to progress my left to higher impact activities and to work on saving my right foot, and a paper that I now have to carry with me when flying in case my ankle hardware sets off the alarms.

This appointment was full of tiny victories that I was excited for, but I couldn't shake the fact that I may be looking at getting the same surgery for my right.

No comments:

Post a Comment