Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Friday, September 6, 2013

Day 94 (234): Traveling + Post-op Appointment #3

I caught an early flight to my old city for my 3 month post-op appointment for my right foot.  The flight was no problem for my feet.  I made sure to pump my feet and flex my quads the whole flight to keep the blood flowing.

Post-op Appointment #3

I had a quiet confidence walking in to my appointment this time.  It was really the first time that I wasn't nervous for the bad news that I could hear.  I can "do" heel raises, I can walk 1.5 miles with no pain, I can swim and kick off the walls with both feet, and my pain level is pretty low now.  I was ready for this appointment.

The appointment started as usual, met with my doctor's assistants, took x-rays, and then met with my doctor.

He checked out my feet and I showed him my heel raises.  He was happy with how everything looked and didn't have much to say other than keep doing what I am doing (continue taking my recovery seriously, stick with my PT exercises, and don't try to do too much too soon).

Questions:

1) What is my timeline for return to high impact activities/running?  Wait another 3 months, until you are at the 6 month mark to try anything high impact.

2) What are some realistic physical goals for my future? Will I ever be cleared to run a marathon again? Triathlons?  Based on how well you have been committed to your recovery and how your feet look, I won't put any limits on your future abilities.  For other patients, I would tell them not to pursue those activities.  When you start running again and can do 5 miles without pain, then 10, and so on, you can do anything your feet will let you.  If you can work your mileage back up to marathon distance, I approve.  (I was so thrilled to hear my doctor say this.  I know that it will be a long shot to ever do longer endurance activities again, but at least there is some possibility, if my feet are willing.  Obviously, I have to be really smart with the stress I put on my feet going forward.  Basically double the time that you would traditionally prepare for races to make sure the progression is not too aggressive.)

3) What about footwear?   You can wear wedges/heels/any non orthotic footwear that your feet can tolerate in your normal life.  (I was absolutely shocked to hear him say this)  For exercise, stability tennis shoes.  He gave me a new prescription for custom orthotics for my tennis shoes only.  I DON'T HAVE TO WEAR ORTHOTICS FULL-TIME ANY MORE!!!!  He also gave me a lace up ankle brace for my right foot, the same one that I already have for my left.  These are only for times when my ankles are going to be under a lot of stress, or if they are particularly weak one day.

I made my next post-op appointment for ~6 months, got a new PT prescription, and I was on my way.  I left with some pep in my step with how well the appointment went.

--------------------
Reflection

Sometimes you don't hear bad news.  Sometimes you leave with hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment