Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 107 (247): PT Session #22 + New Therapy Agreement

PT Session #22

5 min elliptical, seated weighted heel raises, 6 cone touch, manual therapy (scars and joint mobility)

--------------------
Reflection

My therapist and I came to an agreement today that I would work on strengthening outside of therapy, since I am already working out on my own so much (and because I am an exercise physiologist), and that in therapy, we would work on balancing exercises, proprioception, coordination, manual therapy, etc...basically things that I can't work on myself.  I am really happy with this agreement, because I feel like I can progress much faster with taking care of the "heavy lifting" (pun intended) on my own and the fine tuning in therapy.  It has taken quite a while for me to feel in sync with my therapist here.  I finally feel like we are on the same team, working together to get me the best outcome possible.  I got extremely lucky with my former therapist to feel this connection with him in the first few sessions.  I really needed a coach/teammate to get me through my first surgery, and he was there for me, encouraging and believing in me at every step.  I learned a lot with my first surgery, so with moving so soon after my second surgery, I was able to tolerate...rather survive carrying on with my recovery independently.  Even though I managed well on my own, it feels much better to have some support and someone else as invested in my recovery as I am again.




No comments:

Post a Comment