Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

PT Session #2

Today, I got to see my real therapist.  He was out yesterday, which is why I had someone different for my initial evaluation.  I repeated my whole story of how I injured myself and came to making the decision to get the surgery, the same story that I told in detail to the other therapist the day before.  I didn't mind because I have only had to tell the story a thousand times.  Everyone that has seen my cast/boot wants to know what I did, even strangers, or I should say especially strangers.

When I took my sock off, he exclaimed, "WOW, look at your scars!"  I was like yeah I know, they are terrible.  He didn't agree, he said that they look wonderful for only being 7 weeks out from my surgery.  He couldn't believe how healed they looked.  I was surprised by his reaction, but glad to hear that he said my healing was ahead of schedule.

He massaged my foot and focused on releasing some of the scar tissue.  We then did some ROM exercises with a band.  I had trouble pulling my foot upwards because it pulled on my newly lengthened calf too hard.  He told me that I was going to have to work on that by doing isometric contractions with a towel stretched around either side of my foot.

The session went pretty well.  He said that I could expect an excellent recovery and that he looked forward to getting me back to my next marathon.  It will take some serious convincing on my doctor's and PT's part to get me to consider long distance running again after everything I have been through.

No comments:

Post a Comment