Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Day 49: 7 weeks + Teaching Reality

*7 week surgery anniversary*

I had to teach again today which has gotten increasingly harder since I teach a lab.  The activities are becoming more involved as the semester goes on.  I have no help at this point except for using my students to help me set-up, clean-up, and conduct the practical activities.  These are all things that I am used to taking care of.  Unfortunately, using class time to do these things is taking away from the educational opportunities of my students.

I feel just terrible about it, but I am doing the best that I can.  For all people considering getting this surgery, make sure that the people that are set up to assist you at your work while you are still recovering actually want to help you.  Being assigned by a superior means nothing if the people don't actually care that you are disabled and can't do everything by yourself anymore.

For those people reading that are abled bodied, when you see a disabled person, offer to help them.  This is such a hard life and any help we can get is greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment