Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Thursday, March 14, 2013

PT Session #6

I decided to be extra-bold and walk into my PT appointment without any assistive device.  Granted, I don't have to walk very many steps to get in and around the clinic, but I did it!

Massage and ROM exercises.

While I was talking with my PT, he told me that my foot was doing much better.  He said that I am almost there in terms of getting functional ROM back, and that my skin felt much more plush and supple.  He said that those were all really good signs.  I ventured to ask him if he ever thought that I would be able to wear heels again.  He said, "Yes, definitely!"  I couldn't believe this.  He reiterated that the other people he has treated after this surgery are much older and have many other problems that prevent them from making full recoveries.  He is confident that I will get all of my function back, it will take a long, long, long, long time, but I will get my life back, eventually.

Boot back on.

40 "Leg Presses" on the pilates reformer because the Leg Press machine was broken.

40 step ups on about a 1.5 foot step.

40 leg curls (50 lbs).

40 weighted (50 lbs) standing abduction and adduction each leg.

40 weighted (50 lbs) knee ups each leg.

30 minutes on the seated exercise bike.

Ice.

When I was done, I went over to tell my therapist that I would be seeing a new person on Monday because the other PT I see wasn't available that day.  Much to my surprise, he told me to cancel the appointment because he said that I only need to come see him 2 days a week at this point.  I was devastated.  Lately, the best days of my week are when I am at PT because I know I get to work towards making major progress.  And, I really enjoy the environment.  Everyone in the clinic is rooting for me to succeed and providing support to me at such a crucial time.  Last weekend, I was at the end of my rope with all of this.  Now, I have gotten a shred of hope back.

His reasoning is that with my fitness background, I can do these exercises at my home gym on my own.  He wants to save visits so that we can stretch out the total therapy time for when I am back on my feet and jumping and running.  I understand his reasoning, but I definitely will be sad come Monday, when I am not making a trip to the PT clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment