Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Day 46: Grocery Store Trip

Today, I decided to make a trip to the grocery store.  Gone are the days that I simply push my personal shopping cart a few blocks to the grocery store and push it right back.  I have dreaded every trip to the grocery store since my surgery.  There have only been a few because I only go when I absolutely have to.

Now, I have to get myself to the parking deck and drive my car to the store.  I can't bring my cart because I can't push it since I need either crutches or my walker to get around.  When I get to the store, I have to use my crutches to get to the motorized store cart.  I then start my adventure navigating through the maze that is the grocery store with people to dodge everywhere.

Surprisingly, this was my best trip yet.  Apparently, people are not as rushed at the grocery store on a Saturday afternoon.

After I purchase my groceries, I have to drive the cart to my car and unload my cart while balancing on one foot.  I then have to drive the cart back to the store and use my crutches to return to the car.

When I get back home, I have the creative challenge of figuring out how to get my groceries up to my apartment.  Now that I have my rolling walker, they hitch a ride on it.  When I was non-weight bearing with my crutches, I had to limit my groceries to 1 bag, which was all I could manage to get from my car to my apartment.  My life is getting a tiny bit easier day by day with my ability to get around with my walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment