Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Day 72: PT Session #10

After a busy morning, managing pretty well at school in my shoe and brace, I headed to therapy.

This session, my therapist pushed me further with both of my feet in shoes now.  I did a lot of balancing on my left leg, which pre-surgery, would have been impossible.  The most fun...and challenging...thing I did was throw a medicine ball at a trampoline while balancing on my left foot.  It was really difficult and I had to rest my foot in between throws, but I got through it.

My therapist challenged me to do a lot of different things with my left.  By the end of the session, I learned why.  He was testing me...and apparently, I passed with flying colors.  He told me that I could do ANYTHING at the gym, except for things involving running and jumping, of course.  I could now try to work up to using the treadmill, elliptical, arc trainer, etc, AND do pretty much any lifting exercises.

It is hard to describe the moment.  I had to ask him multiple times if he was serious.  After not really being able to do much at the gym, especially anything weight bearing (involving any standing or walking), for almost a year, I was absolutely elated.  I started to think of all the endless possibilities of exercises that I could add back into my routine.

When I got home, reality set in.  More acetaminophen and icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment