Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day 196 (336): 7/12 month update + Swim


*Right: 28 week (7 month) surgery anniversary*

*Left: 48 week (12 month) surgery anniversary*

Update:  My feet are responding well to more challenging workouts.  I have even been taking the stairs in and out of my apartment daily.  I live on the 5th floor of my building, so its a serious challenge to get up and down them.  I am getting better and more comfortable with the stairs day by day.  I can also jog slowly, but I am backing off for now to keep working on the basics.  I want to make sure that I have the functional strength and fitness level to truly return to running again.  I don't want to force it.

By the way, I am at 12 months for my left foot by 4 week per month standards, but we know that our calendar doesn't work out quite that perfectly, so I still have 4 weeks to go for my real 1 year surgery anniversary.

------------------------------------

I swim by myself often, but today was one of the days that I had plans to go swimming with a few other faculty members. When I found out that everyone bailed on me, I really wasn't going to go.  I just didn't feel like leaving the comfort of my home today.  Then, I snapped out of my funk, and realized that I couldn't afford not to go.  I want to be back to TRI again next year, so I have to keep going.


Swim

I swam before doing drills today.

Swimming
100m warmup
200m technique drills

After warming up and working on my technique, I decided to do some timed swims.  I wanted to have an objective marker of where I am.

200m- 5:00
2 x 100m- 2:30
2 x 50m- 1:10
4 x 25m- 0:27

Total yards: 900 m

Where am I? In a really good place!  These times are pretty close to where I left off...two summers ago.

PT drills
Walking
Heel raises
Running (not long because my feet were sore)
Lateral squat walks

----------------------------

Hiking?

While at the pool I ran into a faculty member unexpectedly.  She happened to be talking about her plans for going hiking this week.  The next thing I know, she asked me to go with her!  I was hesitant, because all I could think about was if my feet are ready for the challenge.  Since I can comfortably walk 4 miles now, and I can also go up and down stairs pretty well, I decided to take a leap of faith, and said Y-E-S!  I have been wanting to explore the area in my new city more, so I am really excited.  I AM GOING HIKING!!! (And I hear there are waterfalls!)  If I didn't push myself to get out and go swimming, this opportunity wouldn't have fallen into my lap.  What a nice surprise!

 Judgement day for my feet is tomorrow...








No comments:

Post a Comment