Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Day 186 (326): Unexpected Inspiration + Busy Day

Since it is a Saturday in the fall, I woke up early specifically to catch ESPN's College Gameday.  I absolutely LOVE football, so watching Gameday is a ritual for me.

One story in particular caught my attention.  They had a segment dedicated to Henry Josey, a University of Missouri football player who sustained a devastating knee injury two years ago.  It was an injury that you don't typically sustain in football, similar to how my feet collapsing were "freak" accidents for my age, fitness level, and training expertise.  My doctor is sure it wasn't the running alone that caused the decline of my feet.  He is not sure what caused this to happen to me.  Any way you slice it, what happened to me was completely unexpected, just like Henry's injury.

Here is the link to the video on ESPN's website: ESPN Video: "Henry Josey Remade"

I was moved from the moment the video started:

Narrator: "In someway at sometime, we are all fragile. When we break, the hard question is are we wreckage or are we salvaged? Ruined? or Remade?"
--------------
Those words cut right to the depths of my soul.  Thankfully, I can answer back: SALVAGED and REMADE!
--------------
Henry: 
"I didn't ever think that I would be "normal" again.  I thought I was somebody else because of the injury I went through"


"The only certainty was the hurt"

"I had to find the power inside me to get me to get through the pain that I was in"
--------------

If you've been reading my blog, you know that I've felt exactly this way, especially in the early stages when I was right in the thick of things.  It was clear to me hearing him say these things that the way I reacted to my injuries is a normal response.  Anyone that goes from elite level fitness to completely non-functional like we did is going to have more mental battles than physical ones.

Naturally, I was brought close to tears hearing his story since it struck so close to home with me.

What I was most inspired by was seeing him struggle through therapy and the bad days to get back on the field.  This year he is back and led his team to playing in the SEC Championship game.  It took him 659 days to get back on the field after his original injury.

So far it has been 588 days (1 year, 7 months, and 9 days) since my last running race (1/2 marathon on April 29th, 2012-when I sustained my original left ankle injury) and 455 days (1 year, 2 months, and 29 days) since my last triathlon (Sprint Tri on September 9th, 2012).  

It has been an awful long time since I have raced.  I've been down for a very long time, but I've never been out.  I try to improve every single day.  Henry's story gives me more hope and determination to continue in my journey.  Seeing Henry's story gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get back on my game.  I've come too far to ease off the gas now.  It is my dream to return to racing again.  I feel ALIVE when I am racing.  I vow to get back there.

Right after Gameday ended, I went to the gym!  Wouldn't you?

------------------------------------
Walk (to the gym)


Duration: 00:10:49
Average Speed: 3.14 mph
Distance: 0.57 miles

Gym
I didn't want to push my feet too much at the gym today since I jogged on them yesterday.

10 mins "running motion" elliptical

Circuit with seated arm machines

Circuit with seated leg machines

Rope drills

Ab circuit

Dynamic stretching drills (Ones I learned from my track days.  I found out that my legs are really really tight, so I need to add these to my normal routine)

Hip Plyometrics

Stretch

Walk (home)

Duration: 00:11:29
Average Speed: 3.23 mph
Distance: 0.62 miles

------------------------------------
Christmatizing

After working out, I went to lunch with a friend and off to pick out a REAL Christmas tree and some more Christmas decorations.

When I got back to my apartment I continued to decorate and strung the lights on my tree.  My feet didn't hurt walking the circles and circles and circles around the tree to get the lights on.  I was too tired to put the ornaments on, but everything else is done!

------------------------------------
Reflection

As I was icing and elevating my feet, I let my mind wander.  I thought about my Thanksgiving break. I didn't do any structured workouts, but I did do a good amount of walking on numerous shopping trips with my Mom.  My feet didn't want to be iced or elevated over the break.  At the time, I thought it was the strangest thing.  I had a revelation today (with the help of Henry's story).  My feet only feel like they don't need to be iced and elevated when I am not pushing them.

I need to push them daily to get to where I want to be.

So, I welcome the discomfort.

Soreness is a good sign.  A marker that indicates that I have worked hard enough that day.

Pain is and will always be a red flag that tells me that I need to back off.



No comments:

Post a Comment