Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Day 170 (310): Last day of PT!!!

PT Session #35

5 mins elliptical, Heel raises, Jumps on the cable machine (Horizontal machine similar to a pilates reformer that allows resistance to be added by bungee cables), Lateral squat walks with the 150 lb bungee cord around my waist, Manual therapy- scars

While my therapist was working on my scars, we talked about where I am and where I need to be to get "back."  He told me that I am at GROUND ZERO.  To others that may sound discouraging, but to me it sounded like music to my ears.  Being at ground zero means that I can start from scratch from here on out rebuilding my body and working towards getting my "athlete" back.  All this time, all I have wanted is a chance.  I am not afraid of hard work.  My injuries pulled the carpet right out from under me and took away my opportunity to be an athlete.  Forget athlete, to be a "normally" functioning human being.  The surgeries knocked me down even more notches, but came with the possibility that I could come back someday.  Hearing I'm back at ground zero further validates my decision to go through these surgeries and all the time that I have spent in and out of therapy working my butt off to get my physical abilities back.

Recap of my PT journey this year
61 PT sessions (26 first surgery, 35 second surgery) across the span of 8 months, and over 100 hours of my life!

---------------------
Reflection 

Since I am an exercise physiologist by trade, I have all the knowledge I need to re-build myself into an athlete, I just have to continue to put in the work.  I may never be the athlete I once was, but all that matters is that I have the raw material and unlimited possibility back.

The world is in trouble now...


No comments:

Post a Comment