Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day 86 (226): PT Session #17 + Growing Up

I was so excited for therapy today because I wanted to show my therapist that I can do heel raises!  For the last few sessions, he has wanted me to really focus on trying to get this ability back.  My hw from last session was to, "Just raise your heels."  I think I deserve an A+ for that assignment :)

Elliptical-6 mins

Heel raises on step (lower heel below horizontal and raise above as far as possible)- 2 x 10

Step downs from a higher step than last session (modified for my left side)- 3 x 10

Step-ups from a 12 inch step (higher than last session) with the foam pad, 2 x 10 with a 5-second hold between each rep

Bungee cord walking, 10 x all 4 directions

Trampoline ball toss while balancing on a foam pad with 1 leg- 6 x 5 throws each leg

Manual Therapy- Both calves

------------------
Reflection

Now that I can do heel raises, we were able to progress all of my exercises.  This really is the turning point, because I have all the general function back in my feet.  Going forwards, we need to work on fine-tuning their movement and prepare them for more advanced activities of daily living and high impact activities.

Today, I also realized how far I have come personally as a result of these difficult surgeries, earning a PhD, and beginning my career as a college professor.  I feel like I have aged a decade in a year.  Through situations that came up through the day, both professionally and personally, I realized that I have found my voice.  I was raised to be extremely polite, respectful, and obedient, which leads to a natural tendency of avoiding confrontation and making the best of any situation, no matter the circumstances.  I never complain.  The result: suffering in silence.  That is something I can no longer do.  I have been building my life back brick by brick since my surgeries, and I am choosing to learn from my struggles and new perspective to build an even better life than I had before.  Note to self: When a condition in my life is truly uncomfortable, I have to speak up.  Time is too priceless to waste it suffering unnecessarily when it is a situation that can be improved.



No comments:

Post a Comment