Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 72 (212): FIRST MILE!!! :)

I had an early meeting at work today, so I didn't get to walk or do any PT exercises before work.

When I got home, I decided to challenge myself to walk a full mile on my regular route around the downtown area where I live.  I set my Runtastic Pro GPS app (my absolute FAVORITE iPhone app for tracking mileage, rather than wearing a clunky GPS watch) to track my mileage. Then I was off.  Before I knew it, I was already at 8 tenths of a mile and I knew I would not quit until I made a mile.  And then I did it!!!

On August 15th, 2013, I walked a mile for the first time since before both surgeries.  The last mile I can remember completing is when I competed in a sprint triathlon last September, making it literally almost a year since I accomplished this.

I was absolutely beaming with pride at what I had done.  I just kept shouting..."I walked a mile! I walked a mile!"

I. WALKED. A. MILE.

Ok, it was REALLY slow, but these feet walked a mile WITHOUT any braces!!!



-------------------
Reflection

I would be lying if I didn't admit that there were days that I didn't think I would ever be able to make it a mile again.  Now those doubts are silenced.  My feet were a little achy when I finished but not painful.  This is a great starting point going forward.  I am not going to push the distance until I can improve my walking gait.  I am going to keep walking the same course until I get good enough at it to add a few blocks.


No comments:

Post a Comment