Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 76 (216): First day of school + PT Session #14

Today was the first day of school at my university.  It was the first day that I was not a student, rather the teacher.  It was my first day as a college professor.

I have two 50 min classes on Mondays and Wednesdays that are back to back.  Today, I stood for most of them and oh did my feet punish me.  I told my students about my surgeries so that they would understand if I was sitting or kneeling on a chair during class.  I wish I took a picture of their faces, because they were in utter shock to hear about the extensiveness of my surgeries.

I had to teach for 2 hours, had office hours for 2.5 hours, then off to PT, and back to school to meet with my online class in person.  Luckily, I will only have to meet with my late class a few times this semester.  That made for a packed day to have to return to school after PT to teach at 6:00 pm, especially since I had been at school since 9:00 am.


PT SESSION #14

Similar to last session:

7 mins elliptical

Heavier theraband for lateral walks (3 times across the therapy floor and back)

4 x 12 theraband leg press

Bungee-cord walks, 10 x all 4 directions

Step-ups on a higher step with a foam pad

Heel Raises from a step (FAILED)

3 x 10 Leg press heel raises

Manual Therapy: Combination e-stim/ultrasound on calf

--------------------
Reflection

Today was a great day.  I was absolutely exhausted by the end of it.  I have been out of the house for more than 10 hours, and at work the whole time, except for briefly leaving for PT.  What did I learn?  I can do it!  This was probably the hardest day I will have for the semester on my feet.  It was my first time challenging them to stand while teaching (3 classes!), PLUS walk around my building/school, PLUS tolerate not being elevated all day, PLUS push them in PT.  The important thing is that they made it. I will go to sleep with them sore, but I will wake up with them stronger.




No comments:

Post a Comment