Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Sunday, August 4, 2013

A message to my readers

Dear Readers,

A few days ago, I received a lovely comment from a fellow PTTD sufferer.  If you want to read it, you can find it posted on Day 40.  These last few days have been rough for me personally with all of the transition I am going through in my life, while still having to deal with my surgery recoveries.  This comment arrived at the PERFECT time and inspired me to get back caught up on my blog, since I fell a little behind with my dissertation defense and moving.  It also motivated me to keep moving forward in my recovery. Over the last couple of days, I have added from day 41 to present, so get caught up! :)

 I started this blog to provide information about what it is like to actually go through an ankle reconstruction surgery, or two.  I am a researcher by trade in a field related to orthopedics and even I found it difficult to find detailed information on what to expect in the long road to recovery.  There are plenty of articles describing the condition and the surgeries, but little about life afterwards.   Particularly, no information about athletes going through this and returning to activity.   It is not a so uncommon running injury, just rare for my age, and really rare for me to have it in both ankles.  From my canvasing of the internet, it seems to me that most people just throw in the towel, quit running, and live with the reduced function of their feet.  Many never have surgery and rely on braces and assistive devices for the rest of their lives.  Others have the bones fused in their feet to obtain a "perfect" arch, but automatically give up the ability to run again because their feet are too stiff.  As such, I am kind of in unchartered territories trying to get back to it.  For me, giving up my active lifestyle entirely was simply not an option.  At 25, I am much too young for that, especially since I am an exercise physiologist.  I would be a total hypocrite in my profession if I accepted not being able to walk, run, or participate in moderate or vigorous physical activity ever again.

There are many more of you who have left comments or contacted me in some way and I appreciate every single one of you.  As much as I inspire you, you inspire me.  I love hearing your stories, although I so wish that none of you would have to go through this.  If you are reading and haven't commented, please do!  Also, if you have any questions for me or want me to address a particular topic in my blog, ask me!  I read every comment.  I want this to be as much of a resource for all of you as much as it is my way to cope with my situation and to document what I have been through.

In closing, you know from reading my blog that all of this is rough.  Every part of the recovery is difficult.  However, it is much easier being armed with knowledge and having others to relate to.  Please don't suffer in silence as I have at times.  Share your story, reach out to others, find your own way to get through the obstacles in your life.  As bad as this all has been, I have grown tremendously in this process.  Apparently, everything has a silver lining, so keep pushing until you find what it is for yourself.  And...

DON'T EVER GIVE UP.

Sincerely,

AA

------------------------
My silver lining is my new life goal:


No comments:

Post a Comment