Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 59 (199): Working on my walking

Picturing my former therapist coaching me in my head, I have worked really hard on my at home exercises the last few days and have been working on my walking.  I live downtown in my new city, the same as I did in my last city, so it is really conducive to walking.  I have started to walk a small loop around my apartment 2 times per day.  Each time I go one extra block to progress my tolerance.  For my new therapist, I have been doing this without my stirrup brace, just tennis shoes.  

My walking is really....really...REALLY slow.  The important thing is that I am doing it.  No assistive devices, no braces.  You have to start somewhere.

When I get to the edge of my abilities, I start feeling pressure in my right heel.  That is my signal to go back home.  So far so good.  I would estimate that I can walk almost a half a mile at this point.  I can definitely go for 20 mins without issue.  I'll have to either track my next walk with the gps app on my phone or try on the treadmill to have an exact distance.

My toes are responding well to their little yoga exercises.  I can actually control my big toes now and have no issue moving them separately from my other toes.  Practice makes perfect :)

------------------
Reflection

Make progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment