Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Monday, August 26, 2013

Day 83 (223): NO ORTHOTICS + First Swim!!!

First, I went to work in some new Clark's flats, straight from the old lady collection, but I didn't put my orthotics in them.  Guess what?  I survived the whole day without orthotics.  The first whole day without orthotics in well over a year.  Pain was minimal.

Not only that, but this afternoon, I spontaneously ended up walking down a giant hill and then back up it.  Feet were absolutely fine.  No pain.  Not even from my calves.

Then, today was the day that I decided it was time to return to the pool.  A colleague and I went to the on-campus pool during the faculty/staff swim hours.  A surprising number of people were there, all working on their fitness.

For me personally, it was a TRIUMPH.  I just gained another small piece of my life back.  I was so excited that I didn't slowly climb down the ladder to enter the pool, I JUMPED RIGHT IN!!!  I didn't push the swimming much.  I used a pull buoy to save my feet from having to kick for most of the laps.  Another small victory is the fact that I could push off the wall with BOTH feet.  No problems.

------------------
Reflection

I felt ALIVE in the pool.  I FEEL ALIVE KNOWING THAT I CAN FINALLY RETURN TO LIVING AN ACTIVE LIFESTYLE.  So what if it is modified.

Today, I WON.  I won't give up my quest to return to being the active person I once was.  It is core to my personality and I just can't let my feet stop me.


No comments:

Post a Comment