Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Friday, May 31, 2013

Days 133-136 (-4): Traveling after PTTD Surgery

This week, I have been at a conference.  I had to take a 2.5 hour flight to get here.  My doctor wanted me to take blood thinners before any airline travel, but since this is the week before surgery, I have to be drug free.

Airport experience:

I didn't realize how big my local airport really is.  With my low/minimal pain steps per day being a very small number, I was at a level 4/5 by the time I got through security and to the gate.  I had to bring the paper from my doctor that says that I have hardware in my foot with me to get through security.  It took much longer to get through security than usual, because a supervisor had to approve me.  I also kept my tennis shoes on because I didn't want to be limping around, so they had to do the bomb residue test before they let me through to the terminal.

Flight:

My feet only made it a few minutes after takeoff before they started to really swell.  I had to take my shoes off to relieve some of the pressure.  I was wearing compression socks, so that helped a little.  I wish that I was able to take drugs this week, because it definitely would have made it more bearable.  Instead, my feet throbbed the entire flight, and my pain level climbed to a 6. I used the trick that my physical therapist shared with me in my boot wearing days.  I pumped my foot up and down and did circles to stimulate blood flow.  That is the magic cure for relieving throbbing and swelling.

I was really happy when we landed, because the swelling went down, but my pain level only dropped to a 5.

Hotel:

Pretty funny that I had to use the couch cushions placed under my sheets to elevate my feet in my bed.  My showers were also really short, since I have a lot of trouble standing in the shower.



Conference:

I tried my best to match my business clothes with my Clark's Mary Janes.  They actually didn't look half bad and my feet made it through pretty well despite all the walking.  I switched to my tennis shoes at night when we went out to dinner.  My left bothered me more than my right since it compensates for it.


Going Home:

On the way back, I took my shoes off and went through security as if nothing was wrong.  I just didn't want to be bothered by the security people.  I got through the scanner with no problems.  On the flight home, I made the mistake of falling asleep.  This meant that I missed about 45 mins of manually pumping the blood through my foot.  When I woke up, my pain level was around 7.  When I got off the plane and had to walk back through the terminal, my calf was so tight and painful that I had to limp my way through the airport.

--------------------
Reflection:

At 5 months post surgery, my foot was not really ready for airline travel.  I am glad I went because this is my first trip since the first surgery, so I really needed to get away, but I will only travel again if I have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment