Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 119: 17 weeks + PT Session #23

*17 week surgery anniversary*

Overall, today was a good day.  I resumed working on my dissertation, cleared out my 100+ emails I ignored from last week, and am sticking to the schedule that my feet dictate for me.

At therapy, somehow recapping graduation week really zapped the positivity that I woke up with.  I think that reflecting in my head, and speaking out loud carry very different weights.  Physically saying how tough it was to get through last week somehow makes it much more difficult to cope with than just experiencing it and mentally reflecting on it.  I think my life also slowed down enough to start worrying about the second surgery.

It really is the whole unknown that scares me.  It is not 100% guaranteed that I will get the second surgery on June 4th until my pre-op appointment with my doctor next week.  As traumatic as going through the surgery again is going to be, it scares me even more to imagine accepting living a life like this.  I don't really know if you could call this living.  If you know what rock bottom is, not being able to stand in the shower is in a crevice deep below rock bottom.  I also can't imagine ever fitting in a surgery like this into my future life timeline, other than using my final summer of grad school for it.  By the time fall rolls around, I will have a full time job, and I won't be able to just take several months off to have my surgery.

Oh boy...

At PT, I got to "run" on a little trampoline in 20 second bouts.  That is my new favorite exercise...of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment