Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 9 (149): Unleashing Greatness

Today, I had two job interviews.   Both were second round interviews conducted on the phone.  I met with both universities in person already for the first round at the conference I went to a couple of weeks ago.  At the time I was right in between surgeries, almost 5 months post my left reconstruction, and days away from my right reconstruction.  I was able to conceal my injuries from them at that point, because I could walk with a near normal gait, and in "regular" shoes.

I was really happy to hear that both universities wanted this round over the phone, since I am still in my surgical splint.  I almost had to take one of the calls from my hospital bed last week, but luckily, there was a scheduling conflict.  I ended up taking both calls from my couch with my legs elevated and icing.

I adjusted my drugs so that I was in the middle of a dosing period, to make sure that I was the least drowsy as possible.  I also cleared my mind and was determined to do the very best that I could do despite my circumstances.  I kept chanting in my mind my new mantra, "Don't let what you can't do keep you from what you can."

10:45 am- First Interview.  It lasted 30 mins and I went away knowing that I rocked it.

3:00 pm- Second Interview.  It lasted just under an hour and I again felt like I brought my best game.

By the end of the day, both universities called me back and I had an offer to be flown in for a campus interview from one, and a job offer from the other.

I was beaming with pride for how well I handled myself and stayed positive through these interviews.  This process has been difficult for me, since I feel like such a different person from the one reflected on my CV.  I focused on handling the interviews as my former self would have.  And that is with no fear, eternal optimism, and beaming enthusiasm.  That is the all-star version of myself, right now I am sitting the bench, waiting to get my turn to join the real action again and have my life back.

One particular interview question stopped me in my tracks: Describe a typical day from start to finish as a faculty member.  They wanted to know how I would arrange my home and work life responsibilities.  I knew that the real answer for more than the last year of my life has been to survive school each day painfully limping around and using assistive devices (casts, boots, braces, tennis shoes with custom orthotics, crutches, wheelchair, walker) and spend every other hour icing, elevating, and doing PT exercises to strengthen my feet.  I instead described a day that I would like to have once again.

Wake up.  Train.  Teach.  Spend time prepping coursework, grading, meeting with students.  Train.  Cook and eat dinner.  Reflect on the day.

-------------------------
Reflection

Today I chose to unleash the greatness that is still inside of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment