Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Friday, June 7, 2013

Day 3 (143): Know your worth

As I stated on my Surgery II post, I am 3 days post Surgery II and I feel good.  I feel well enough to be back to posting on my blog.  It took me 12 days to get to this point after my first surgery.  I was in so much pain that I had such difficulty focusing on anything, especially reading and writing.  I barely survived sending text messages to my friends.  This time, I was doing that from the hospital right after my surgery.  I have even answered emails and handled some things for school.

My advisor emailed my dissertation draft back this afternoon, so this weekend I am going to make the edits and have it back to him by Monday morning.  WIth the PhD process there are not many things that you can control, one thing that I can control is my work pace.  With my right foot not bothering me too much and no longer having the impending doom of going through another surgery, my mind is clear to finish the job that I started.  I am so ready to tackle my defense, pack my bags, and move on with my life.

One thing I did today that I am really proud of myself for, is turn down the opportunity for a second interview at one of the Universities that I interviewed with.  I know that the position that they were offering was a good fit for me; however, the amount of work and commitment they wanted from me was far more than the commitment that they were willing to make on their part in terms of my career development.  I am no stranger to working hard, but because I have worked so hard, I have honed a particular set of skills that are highly desirable.  I won't be working with a University that doesn't value my worth.  It took me a long time to learn this, but one of the most important things you can know is your own worth.

------------------------------
Reflection

As I said in my last post, I have the freedom to choose the job I want to start my career with.  Through all of this, I have really learned how short and valuable life is, and how everything you have ever known can change in an instant.  I won't knowingly put myself in a situation where I will be unhappy.  Sometimes you have to walk away.  Today, I found the strength to do just that.  The current job market is tough, but I know that I have done what I need to do to land a job that will be a perfect fit for me and my career.


No comments:

Post a Comment