Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Monday, June 10, 2013

Day 6 (146): Missed dose

Overnight, I missed my 3:30 am drug dose.  I woke up at 7 am in excruciating pain, dripping in sweat.  I took my drugs at 7 and gave myself a wash up from my bath chair.  I changed into new pajamas and went back to sleep.  Had I not missed that dose, I would have been able to continue working on my dissertation edits earlier.  Instead, I didn't feel ok again until the afternoon.  I forced myself to make some good progress and looked forward to going out to dinner with my mom.

As I changed my clothes, my foot was absolutely throbbing.  I had only taken 1 pill at the 1 pm dosing period, so that I could work on my dissertation.  I was paying for it now.  I kept trying to continue to get ready through the pain, until I broke down and lost it.  I am actually pretty proud of myself for making it this long without crying and getting frustrated over the limitations that this second surgery has put on my life.  I climbed back in my bed to elevate my foot, and since it was time for another dose, I took 2 Percocet.  I laid there thinking how I just wanted to do the simple act of going to sit at a restaurant to enjoy a dinner with my mother, but my ankle had me trapped, paralyzed with pain.

About 2 hrs later, around 8 pm, I finally had my pain under control and we decided to still go out for dinner.  On the way, we dropped off my prescription for more Percocet.  This prescription was for 100 pills! I am almost done with my initial prescription of 40.  I shouldn't need all of those, rather I have my fingers crossed that I can make it through without taking Percocet for much longer.  Anyways, the pharmacy actually gave me the manufacturer's bottle of 100, they didn't even bother to put it in a regular prescription bottle.  Boy is it apparent how bad my situation is that I need that many pain pills...

Dinner was good.  I propped my leg up on the booth while we were eating.  

--------------------------
Reflection

Today it really hit me just how much longer the road to recovery has gotten for me with this second surgery.  I am months away from walking again.  It is so frustrating to have made so much progress after the first surgery, and now having to start at square one again.  I have weeks and weeks ahead of me of non weight bearing->partial weight bearing-> full weight bearing (boot->ankle brace)-> walking without any assistance.


No comments:

Post a Comment