Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Day 2 (142): Freedom

6:30 am- Pain Pump and IV Removed

8:00 am- First Percocet Dose (2 pills)

I gave myself a wash up and changed my gown.

PT came by and made me crutch a loop.

9:00 am- Percocet worked!

My surgeon and his PA came by to visit me between surgeries.  I was happy to tell my surgeon that the nerve block worked and that my recovery was going much smoother.  He also pointed out that some of my pain was also less because I didn't get my posterior tibial tendon cut out and the FDL transferred over to its spot.  I told him that the Percocet was actually working this time, since it didn't work at all to reduce any of my pain after the last surgery, so he said that I could go home!  My nurse started the discharge paperwork.

11:30 am- Released from the hospital

My mom busted me out of jail and I was off to finish my recovery at home.  I was so happy to be leaving this time since my hospital experience was so bad.  I also had confidence that recovering at home was going to go better than it did last time since the Percocet was working for me.  The first time, I was really fearful of managing that level of pain on my own at home.  When I got home, I gave myself another wash up from my tub, using my bath chair.  I wanted to get all of the hospital germs off of me.  I was also reunited with my rolling walker, which is much easier to use than the crutches.  I am tall enough that I can rest my knee on the seat and roll around without having to have my bad leg dangling.  This also helps take some of the pressure off of my left foot, which I am trying to treat as gingerly as possible, because I don't want to mess with any of the progress it has made. I put my own pajamas on and climbed into my bed.  Of course my bed was all set up, since I haven't been able to sleep without my legs elevated one night since my first surgery.  I have figured out the exact combination of pillows to make elevation comfortable since I have already spent 5 months like this.  I'll be lucky if I can finally sleep without my legs elevated by Christmas.

It was amazing how good I felt the rest of the day.  Of course my foot hurts.  This time the pain feels like my foot is burning and it gets really stiff when the pain is bad.  It only gets like this when it is close to me needing to take another dose of Percocet.  I have been keeping the ice on it, but it is really hard to feel any relief through the thick soft cast.  I have been placing one bag behind my knee to cool the blood as it travels down to my foot.  In the hospital yesterday, my foot was really sensitive to bringing it from being elevated to down.  While at home, it hasn't been all that bothered by that transition.  I spent weeks of agonizing pain when changing its position after the first surgery.  I literally used to cry when I had to put it down long enough for a 5 minute trip to the bathroom.  It sill amazes me how essential the nerve block was in changing my overall pain experience.

------------------------------
Reflection

I am free.  I am free from the hospital.  I am free from surgeries...for now.  I am free to recover on my terms (with the guidance of my doctor and physical therapist).  I am free to choose my first real job and move to my first post-college home.  I am free to prepare for my dissertation defense and finish the final step in earning my doctorate.  I am free to make every choice in how I am going to use my newly reconstructed feet from here on out. (Hint: Marathon running won't be on the list)

My previous life is gone completely and I am free to start a new one (with 9 shiny battle scars on my feet), for that I am grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment