Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 56 (196): 2/7 month update + DRIVING + 1st visit to new campus


*Right: 8 week (2 month) surgery anniversary*

*Left: 28 week (7 month) surgery anniversary*


Updates

Right: FWB in tennis shoe with stirrup brace, no assistive devices.  Only painful while standing more than a minute or walking more than 20.

Left: Daily pain where the tendon transfer was.  Nothing compared to before the surgery, and not enough to limit my activity.  The right is the limiting foot.

I still sleep with my legs elevated and ice at minimum once per day before I go to bed.  I can climb over the ledge of the bathtub to get into the shower, but I can't stand in the shower yet.  I have my bath chair in there and I have the toilet extender seat with the hand rails over my toilet.  If I don't have my tennis shoes on, I have to use my walker to get around my apartment.

-------------------------
1st Visit to New Campus

Today, I went to visit my new university.  I drove for the first time!  I had no issues.   When I got there, I took a tour of my new department and met my new colleagues.  I also got to check out my office.  I now know what courses I am going to teach and have an idea of what my schedule is going to be like for the semester.  I can't wait to get started!

I wore tennis shoes with my stirrup ankle brace on my right foot.  I told brief versions of my story to my department chair and my program coordinator so that they will understand why I will be in tennis shoes for the next few months.  Both of them actually know my new therapist and have been to his wife (who is also a PT) for their own running injuries.  Oh the life of runners...it hurts so good, haha.  All of the labs and classrooms are pretty close to my office, so I   shouldn't have much trouble with these feet at work.  I will have to find a chair for teaching because I don't see my feet handling 50 min classes yet.

My new university is just over a mile from my apartment.  My program coordinator took the time to show me some routes that I can take with my bike.  He rides to work himself.  Once I am back to riding, I think I might try it.

-------------------------
Reflection

Back to driving.  My feet didn't bother me at work.  I am excited to start my new job.  First PT appointment with my new therapist is tomorrow.  Mark this in the good day category.




No comments:

Post a Comment