Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 41 (181): Post-op #2/4 + PT Session #3 + Final Defense Prep

Today is August 2nd.  I have been really bad with posting these last few weeks because of my dissertation defense, preparing to move, and then moving.  I have been taking notes along the way of the last few weeks, so I am going to fill in the days up to present. It is a lot of work keeping a blog up to date, much more than I expected.

-----------------------------------

Post-op #2/4 (6 week/6 month check-up)

My second post-op appointment for my right and my fourth for my left was the morning of the day before my dissertation defense.  I had hoped to defend a week earlier, but things didn't work out that way.  From the time I woke up, I knew that it was going to be a really busy day.

I was more than prepared for my appointment.  I wasn't nervous and I didn't really make my list of questions that I normally do.  I just wanted to get it over with.  All of the support staff (registration people, cast/brace guys, x-ray people, athletic trainers, physician assistants) and the doctors of the practice recognized and greeted me today.  It is a good feeling to be so welcomed, but at the same time it is a slap in the face of, "oh by the way, that is the girl that had to get both of her ankles reconstructed and we see her here all the time."  I really never thought I would be a "regular" at a surgical practice.  Well...let's not start that train of thinking of what I never thought my life would be at this point.

After being taken back to a room and giving the AT a brief report, I was off to get X-rays.   We only took them of the right foot.  Afterwards, my doctor and his PA came in to speak with me.  It is kind of funny that they don't even knock anymore when they come into my room.  They just walk right in because I am here so frequently.   I gave them a brief report of where I am at with each foot, and then I asked some questions, as usual.

Questions:

1) What is the timeline for my transition from PWB to FWB in boot to FWB in tennis shoe/ankle brace?  Let's use the last surgery as a guide but keep in mind that the recovery will go a little faster for this foot since we didn't do the tendon transfer.  I told him that I was already PWB pretty comfortably in the boot and that I didn't think that I needed much longer before transitioning to a tennis shoe.  We agreed on 2 more weeks in the boot of weight bearing as tolerated (WBAT) and then moving on to the tennis shoe with an ankle brace.

2) When can I start returning to activity (swimming, biking, and high impact activities/running)?  Swimming and Biking: 4 weeks, high impact/running: 3 months minimum.  These estimates were not unexpected, but it was hard to hear that I had another month before swimming and biking (outside) and another 3 months before learning to run again.  That puts me at mid-october before I can even think about high impact activities.  I don't mind waiting after everything that I have been through, but I really do hope that with my right progressing so quickly that I will be able to return to moderate-vigorous physical activity sooner.  I am really getting tired of all of this low level physical activity.

3) Are there any limitations on my ROM at this point?  No.  You can work on eversion and inversion right away this time since we didn't do the tendon transfer.

4) At the last post-op appointment, I noticed an extra pin on my X-ray, what is it there for?  The head of the guide pin that we use to place the screw broke off, so we couldn't remove it when we went to put the screw in.  It is all the way inside your bone and not across any joints, so it won't bother you.  It is just an extra piece of metal.  (Like I need anymore in me at this point.)

Overall, my doctor is really happy with both of my feet and where they are.  He says they are progressing well, and that I just need to keep up with all of my PT exercises to get the best possible outcome.  My left is still bothersome, especially at the tendon transfer point, and at the calf and achilles lengthening point, but he said these issues should work themselves out with time.  I also have issues at the other two incisions where the bone work was done.  They literally feel like they are burning when I walk.  He told me that that feeling is the nerves coming back, so I just have to give that time too.  Not much to report with my right since it is so early in its recovery.

Before leaving, I got a new PT prescription for my move to a new clinic, new braces for my feet (a lace-up brace for my left and a new air cast ankle brace for my right), and made my 3-month appointment.

Here are two pics comparing the bone work incisions (lateral column lengthening and calcaneal osteotomies).  My right foot incisions are looking really good for only being 6 weeks out.

Right Foot (~6 weeks)

 Left foot (~6.5 months)

--------------------------------

Meeting with my Advisor

Right after my appointment, I rushed over to school to meet with my advisor.  We went through my entire defense presentation to make sure I was on target.  He wants me to adjust a few slides, but all in all, both he and I feel good about it.  We also practiced the media set up for my presentation in the conference room.  The worst thing that can happen for a big presentation like this is to have something with your computer set-up go array.  I was so carried away with getting these final details together, that I didn't look down at my watch until my PT appointment was only 15 mins away.  Both the hospital/surgical clinic and PT clinic are right across from my university.  They are not at the same place but they are "walkable" from anywhere on campus.  I knew that I wouldn't have time to catch a shuttle, so I quickly packed my stuff up, and my walker and I went on a speedy adventure.

__________________________

PT Session #3

I made it to the clinic just in time for my appointment.  I was dripping in sweat and hadn't even eaten lunch yet.  My therapist was surprised by how disheveled I was, and then I told him the story.  Another therapist at the clinic overheard about it being the day before my defense, and he was like, "What are you doing here?"  I responded that I have realized that walking/your health is more important than any piece of paper will ever be.  Ultimately, that is all a PhD is, another degree, another piece of paper.  I used to think that it meant more, but these surgeries have seriously changed my value system.

While my therapist was massaging and stretching my foot, I ate the PB&J sandwich that I packed just in case of an emergency.  Thank goodness for that sandwich!  For the rest of the appointment we focused on progressing my ROM with harder exercises and I did some standing knee raises and leg abduction/adduction while b
alancing on my right (booted) foot, and leaning on the table to support myself.  These are to get ready for FWB in the boot.  After, I rode the bike for the first time, for a grand total of 10 mins!  The tour de france was on the tv in front of me, so it was perfect motivation.



------------------------------------
Final Defense Prep

When I got home from this busy day, I had to fix my defense presentation slides, practice, and get everything else together that I needed for my defense.  I stayed up until just after midnight, but I got everything done.

_____________________________

Reflection

Feet are doing well, defense prep is done, which means it is GO TIME!  Tomorrow is the big day.









No comments:

Post a Comment