Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 40 (180): Edits and Defense Presentation DONE :)

After gathering myself on Friday, I spent the rest of the weekend working around the clock to finish the final edits to my dissertation manuscript and my defense presentation.   I am so happy to be done with those.  Less than 2 days until my defense!

Around doing my work, I made sure to do my at home PT exercises twice per day.  I have less than 2 weeks left before I move, and I want to be as close to walking and driving as possible.

I have my second post-op appointment with my doctor in the morning.  I am excited to hear what he thinks about my right foot and how quickly it has progressed compared to the left.

----------------------------
Reflection

I am so proud of the work I have done to get to this point, mentally and physically in terms of my PhD, and my surgery recoveries.  You really can accomplish anything if you have the right motivation, are determined, and are willing to persevere through the bad days.


2 comments:

  1. Your blog is amazing it has helped me deal with my own PTTD surgery. I was running 75 miles a week 4 years ago and felt like I stepped on a rock on day.

    Things progressively got worse to the point where I started shuffling like "Quasimoto" I had a failed surgery (HMO, sinus tarsi stent) before I got a PPO and did the whole shebang.

    I am 10+ week post op, just in a walking boot about to start PT, pretty jealous that your allowed so much so soon, but then I think about how "lighting struck twice" on you and I feel lucky.

    Yes it's (recovery) is indeed a long road, but I really have thank you for 1) tempering my expectations maybe I won't run again, my goal is to bike and enjoy long hikes up scenic mountains again, and 2) prepping me for what I would go through it's painful not the most pain but it's so bothersome and annoying due to the way you get so limited limited. I've cut off finger (fortunately reattached), fractured by back, and many more things but in every case being able to walk was taken for granted.

    God speed on your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for commenting. You re-lit the fire under my butt to keep moving forward. I am glad that my blog is helping you, especially in the realistic expectation category. I have learned to drop all expectations and take everything day by day. Surprisingly, my life is exceedingly less stressful than my former life. I wouldn't go on to say less difficult, because obviously each day is a struggle, but more carefree.

      10 weeks is a good place to be. That is when recovery really starts to speed up, especially once you start therapy. Most of my "speedy" timeline is related to my age, and of course my commitment to rest, ice, elevation, and PT exercises. Once you start therapy, make sure you do your at-home exercises to your therapist's specifications, and you will be just fine!

      Stay positive, and keep going! It does get better.

      As I mentioned in my message to my readers, where I gave you a special shout-out, feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Also, keep me posted :)

      Good luck!

      Delete