Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Day 54 (194): Move-in day

My flight yesterday was pain free.  I used the walker to get through the airport, so that I could conveniently push my suitcase on my seat.  The flight was only 2 hours and my feet handled it fine.  I forgot to pack my blood thinners in my suitcase, so I was worried about the risk of blood clots.  I diligently pumped my feet and moved my legs during the entire flight.  

Since I am conveniently moving 2 hours from where my family lives, I flew into my usual home airport.  My brother picked me up and took me to our house.  I got to relax, elevate and ice my feet, and rest up for a night in preparation for today's move.  My parents finally arrived with the moving truck late last night.

This morning, we switched out some of the stuff on the truck, then we drove the 2 hours to my new apartment.  I had the help of my extended family with the move on this end.  My mom and I stayed in my apartment the whole time directing which rooms the boxes and stuff should go in.  I was able to preserve my feet big time.  We had no crazy deadline for using the elevator like we did on the other end, so the move went really smooth.

I moved into an ADA compliant compartment. My building happened to have one open that I liked, so I went for it.  It has all hardwood floors, making navigating with my walker and rolling around on my desk chair really easy.  The washer and dryer aren't stacked so I can do all of my laundry seated.  I can reach all of the kitchen appliances while seated as well.  The one thing it doesn't have is a walk-in shower, like my last apartment.  Climbing in the tub should be interesting.  Other than that one issue, this apartment should make it much easier to do my activities of daily living until I am back on my feet again.

My mom is going to stay with me this week so that she can help me get all of my stuff organized. That is going to be a big help.  Of course I wouldn't need all of this assistance if I didn't have the feet I do, but it does feel good to know that I have the support of my family and friends through this major transition in my life.  

----------------------
Reflection

From the moment I stepped off of the plane yesterday, I felt an overwhelming sense of relief.  I am home now.  I continued to have this feeling as I moved in today.  I really think that this is going to be a good new start for me.  I can't erase this horrific last year of my life, but I can move on from it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment