Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 37 (177): A day off

After having such a draining day yesterday, I took today off.  I stepped away from my dissertation edits and preparing for my defense.  Instead, I did a thorough cleaning and reorganization of my apartment and went out to happy hour and dinner with some friends.  This was my first time going out since I had the second surgery.  My foot has transitioned really well to partial weight bearing in the boot.  I used my walker to help me get around. When I got home, my foot was a little swollen, but nothing that a round of icing and elevating couldn't fix.

----------------------------
Reflection

Sometimes...you just need a break.  I have so much work to do and am under tremendous pressure to finish up my PhD, prepare for my move, and for my new job, but I just had to escape it for one day.


2 comments:

  1. Hello. I'm also a graduate student located at New York Medical College. I'm working on my doctorate degree in physical therapy. I will be going into my second year coming this august. I also have developed PTTD.
    My case happened after I micro-fractured my tibial plateau while I was mountain biking. I was told to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and then I could go back to my normal activities. I followed up with an orthopedic, because I knew something was not right. I started to develop knee pain and I did not know why. I was scheduled for 2 MRI's and both were inconclusive. He did not refer me to physical therapy, but told me to continue running and doing what I was doing and it should go away. Well one day I went running on the beach in bare feet and had terrible pain in my left foot. Sure enough my arch collapsed and could no longer raise my left foot off the ground. This all happened prior to physical therapy school 2 years ago. I have been stretching my calf and strengthening ever since then. It seems to be getting better, but then there are some bad days. I have custom orthotics that provide some relief.
    I know what you are going through, because I love to run and I can't anymore because a tight heel cord, collapsed arch, and hindfoot valgus. It is a really tough injury and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you and your experience. My name is nicholas and I'm 24 years old and I wish the best of luck to you.
    Stay strong!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicholas,

      Sorry to hear about your injury. Your story is quite similar to mine. After my initial injury and a 6-week stint in a boot, I was also cleared to run again. Just over a year later, both of my ankles are now reconstructed. It is too early to tell if I will be able to return to running again, but my medical team thinks I will. Definitely keep reading my blog to see how this all turns out. If I had the choice, even with the tough surgeries and their long recoveries, I would do this all again, even for where I am currently. I have much less pain than before already. My big challenge now is returning to activity. Pending I make a full recovery as expected, I would recommend that you consider the surgery. Once you can't do a single heel raise, and especially when you have the hindfoot valgus, you don't really have any other options. You know that better than I do. PT exercises won't fix your collapsed arch. It is live a life of limited physical ability, or get the surgery and get some, if not all of the function of your foot back. I would especially recommend it because you are in a profession related to physical activity as I am. I can only imagine how hard it will be on your feet once you start treating patients. My therapist probably only sits down 15 mins an hour. That wouldn't have been an option for me before the surgeries and it is something that I will be able to do pain free in another month or so.

      Good luck with school and good luck with your foot. Take it easy, ice, and elevate!

      Feel free to ask me any questions you have. It took me 8 months to decide to get surgery. Maybe I can help?

      Delete