Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 14: 2 weeks + A day full of firsts

*2 week surgery anniversary*

I made it...2 weeks post-op!

As a graduate student, the days of sitting at home being unproductive have been killing me. Today, that all changed.  I went back to school!!!

Today was the first time I bathed and clothed myself (without any help!) and wore a "real" outfit.

Today was the first time I drove my car.

Today was the first time I parked in a handicapped spot at my school.

Today was the first time I loaded and unloaded my wheelchair by myself.

Today was the first time I wheeled myself anywhere in my wheelchair.

Today was the first time I used the handicap button to automatically open the door to the lab I study and work in.

Today was the first time I taught my class this semester.  My students were great and really understanding of the limitations I will have this semester.

Today was the first time that only a few hours of school zapped all of my energy.

Today was the first time that I rode my road bike (made stationary by my bike trainer).  I had to switch out my clipless pedals for traditional pedals, and use my crutch to move the left pedal.  Nothing made me happier to return to some form of physical activity.  I could only tolerate a 5 minute bout this morning, but made it 10 minutes this evening.  I also did a short push-up and ab workout.

The road to recovery is long...but today I made some major progress.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I've been told I need this same surgery, so I started searching for the what, when, how of it all. You've be most helpful....and an awesome resource!

    Stacy S.

    ReplyDelete