Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hospital Daze

I had to stay in the hospital for 3 and a half days!  My surgery was on Tuesday morning, and I did not get released until Friday afternoon.

To be honest, most of my hospital stay was a blur.  Not because of the pain meds, but because of the constant visits by the nurses, doctors, hospital staff, and PT.  The most sleep I ever got was the few and far between 2 hr naps.  Otherwise, I was up pretty much the whole time.  I was absolutely exhausted keeping up with the schedule of vitals check ups, taking medications, having blood taken, doing PT, eating, etc.

My pain remained between 8/9 out of 10 for my entire stay.  I had to stay so long because none of the narcotics worked to relieve any of my pain.  This caused me to have a fever and an elevated HR.  The worst day was Thursday morning, when they removed my IV pain drip and switched me to oral meds.  The highest dose of percocet that they could give me did absolutely nothing for me.  That morning my pain peaked at a 10.  The rest of the day, they ended up injecting dilaudid through my IV in combination with taking percocet.

I had to get an ECG and an echocardiogram done before they would release me to rule out a heart problem causing my tachycardia.

My heart passed these tests with flying colors, so around 3 pm on Friday, January 18th, I was finally released! I was so happy to bust out of jail.

I am so grateful to my friends that visited me and brought balloons, stuffed animals, flowers, and goodies that made my stay go by much faster!




2 comments:

  1. Wow 3 1/2 days in the hospital that is a long time ... I am now day 2 after PTTD surgery but I was in and out of the out patient center in just 5 hours.

    But seriously the pain sucks no matter where you end up hospital or home (and I am in it right now) - only thing that take my mind off of the pain is focusing on work (using a laptop with a special stand).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jon!

      I can't believe you were able to post and work from home after two days. I was completely out of it for over a week. I had trouble focusing and reading. I hope your pain level has started to come down by now. Religiously ice and elevate and you will get through this.

      Tomorrow, I go through my second PTTD reconstruction, this time on my right foot. My fingers are crossed that the nerve block works and I am able to get out of the hospital sooner this time.

      Gotta go. Surgery prep is calling my name.

      Good Luck and keep me posted on your recovery!

      AA

      Delete