Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Race Report- Sprint Triathlon #6

Race Summary= BEST RACE EVER!!! 

Sprint Triathlon #6

Date: August 16th, 2015
Event: Super Sprint Triathlon (225 yd pool swim, 8 mile bike, 2 mile run)- > Women only!
Time: 1:04:24
(Swim: 4:40 (6th/24), T1: 0:57 (2nd/24), Bike: 33:43 (10th/24), T2: 1:01 (14th/24), Run: 24:05 (18th/24))
Age Group Place (25-29): 12/24! Top 50% :)

------------------------------------------

The Swim- 225 yd pool swim (4:40)

Average Pace: 2:04 per 100yd

Well the swim was great, the entry, not so much.  We had to jump in feet first in the shallow end of the pool.  I jumped in a little too aggressively and jammed my toes on the cement pool floor.  I shook off the pain quickly as I kicked, but I did worry the whole time if I had broken them.  Really happy with my swim ranking, 6th best time in my age group!

The Bike- 8 miles (33:43)

Average Speed: 14.2 mph

Before I could begin the bike course, I had to go through the first transition.  The race volunteers were yelling at me not to go so fast, I yelled back, "It's a race!"  My hurrying paid off, as I was the 2nd best in T1, running from the pool to get my bike and my bike gear on, and to run my bike out, all in 57 seconds! I'm doing these shorter races mostly to practice my transitions between the three sports, I couldn't care less that they were yelling at me.  I had my goal in mind and I followed my race plan.

The bike course was easy, except for a heartbreak hill that had to be completed twice, as it was a two loop course.  This hill was so hard that a majority of the racers were dismounting their bikes and walking them up.  I fought hard to stay on mine and got through it, but boy was that tough.  I was again happy with my ranking, 10th best time in my age group.  My baby calves still ache and bother me quite a bit when I am climbing hills.  I also am not as strong as pedaling out of the saddle, as that requires the toe off motion--same one in running, same one in heel raises, and we know that anyone with PTTD, especially those who have undergone surgery are not great at that. I was really starting to feel confident in my performance and proud of what I already accomplished.

The Run-2 miles (24:05)

Average Pace: 12:03 min/mile, Average Speed: 5 mph

Are you kidding me???? 12 min miles in a triathlon?  I swam and biked before this leg. This race has gone from good to great!  Of course, my ranking in my age group is much lower for the run, because 12 min miles aren't fast for the everyday runner, but I have reconstructed ankles!!!  I am so proud.

--------------------------------
Reflection

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE RACE!!! I only signed up for this race to support some of my newbie triathlete friends, something.  It is a women's only race and is catered to beginners. As a more experienced triathlete, I felt a little out of place signing up, but I am sure glad I did.  I probably wouldn't have signed up if I hadn't gone through my ankle surgeries, as I would have thought that I was "too good" for a little race such as this one.  I would have been wrong, it was a great experience.  Everyone was cheering you on from the sidelines, they write your name in marker on your arms and also print it on your race bib (corny, but also thrilling to hear people that you don't know cheering for you by name), everyone was supportive of each other, and it was all about finishing, less about time.  For me, I obviously was concerned about my times, since this was a training race for me, but I was pleasantly surprised to finally find a distance that my ankles didn't hold me back from as much.  Still thrilled on my 24:05 for a 2 mile run!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment