Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Monday, August 3, 2015

New Swim Team- I'm hooked!

I decided to quit my tri team.  It wasn't working out for me and it hasn't for awhile, but I stayed because it is really the only tri team in town.  There was a "last straw" experience that made it clear to me that the sport I care about the most is my swimming.  Swimming is the sport/activity I can do with the least limitations and I genuinely want to become the best swimmer I can be.  It is and has always been important to me to regain my athleticism after my surgeries, and swimming gives me the best chance to be competitive again.  My former tri team did not have a strong swim component, so it was time to make a change.  Increasing opportunities to be coached in my swimming is a priority for me; therefore, I have joined a second Masters Swimming Team...this is on top of my normal team that meets on Tuesday and Thursday mornings during the academic year.  This team swims all year around and has practice sessions on most days. Add this to the list of things I never dreamed about doing, even before my surgeries.  I am a year around competitive swimmer!!! My goal is to transition from 3 to 4 morning swims per week, up to 5 to 6 swims per week by the spring.  Beyond the triathlons that I still have on my calendar for the fall, I am training for the Masters National Swimming Championships in late April/early May.

--------------------------------------------
Reflection

As much as I love the sport of triathlon, I love competitive swimming more.  It was time to adjust my training schedule and team situation to fit my needs and passion for swimming.  I have a busy and challenging race calendar for the next several months, having races/competitions on the calendar pushes me to stay committed to my training, which in turn keeps me healthy and fit...and keeps my feet strong and functional ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment