Ever seen a flatter foot? This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...

Ever seen a flatter foot?  This was the beginning of my PTTD surgery journey...
Left Foot Pre-Surgery X-ray: Ankle with heel valgus and flatfoot deformity

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Race Report- Sprint Triathlon #7: Top 10 Performance

I made the top 10 in my age group!!!

Sprint Triathlon #7

Date: September 20th, 2015
Event: Super Sprint Triathlon (250 yd pool swim, 9 mile bike, 2 mile run)- > Women only!
Time: 1:02:35
(Swim: 5:32 (7th/34), T1: 1:05 (3rd/34), Bike: 29:03 (7th/24), T2 + Run: Timing Error)
Age Group Place (25-29): 8th/34!!! First Top 10 finish with a large number of people in my age group and Top 25% :)

------------------------------------------

The Swim- 250 yd pool swim (5:32)

Average Pace: 2:13 per 100yd

Grrr. The swim.  It started out ok, until the person who started behind me didn't seed herself properly.  She probably should have been one of the first to go.  She was speedy.  Instead of passing me at the wall, she decided to repeatedly pull on my feet, then my legs.  She also mouthed some choice words about how I needed to get out of the way.  If you are the one passing, you need to spend the extra energy to sprint fast enough to pass me cleanly.  I shouldn't have to slow down to let you pass.  That altercation with the other swimmer made me lose count of my 50s, and I had no idea where I was in my swim.  I kept going, but I didn't know when to start picking up the pace, as I didn't know how much I had left.  We only swam one way in each lane, instead of going down and back in the same lane, so it was much harder to count.  As I did start to pick up the pace, I went to turn and then people were yelling at me to get out.  I had already finished the race requirement, but was turning to do another length.  An absolute mess!!! Needless to say, my time was impacted and I was "HOT" the rest of the race. I still managed to rank 7th out of 34.  My swim coaches would be happy about that.

The Bike- 9 miles (29:03)

Average Speed: 18.6 mph!!!

After my interrupted swim, I was determined to make up some time on the bike.  I was a woman on a mission!  As soon as I mounted my bike, I took off and gassed it.  The first part was a downhill...I think I rode that momentum the whole race.  The best I have ever averaged on the bike is between 15-16 mph even for shorter distances.  To be able to average close to 19 mph, shows how upset I was about my swim, and also demonstrates the level of fitness I have attained in my final preparations for my half iron distance triathlon coming up next month.  Maintained my position of 7th out of 34.

The Run-2 miles 

Average Pace: Not Sure

There was a timing error, so I do not know my run split, however it was consistent with my last super sprint.  I'm sure it was around 24 mins, approximately a 12 min mile pace.  This run had a monster hill that seemed to never end, but with the long uphill, there was a long downhill, as the turnaround was at the top of the hill.  While my pace was slower going up, my feet still don't do uphills well, it was faster going down, so it evened out.

--------------------------------
Reflection

 Just like my other super sprint race, I had a blast!  I knew that I was doing well in this race because I was within a mile of the finish line when I heard the announcements of the winner crossing the finish line.  I haven't ever been that far up in the race to hear that.  It was an extremely proud and rewarding moment for me, because I am out here doing this with reconstructed ankles, competing against people with far less limitations than me. It also validates my decision to go back down to sprint type events, as I am far better at them, enjoy them the most, and am the most passionate about them.  I am really good at pushing myself to the limit and beyond for short bursts.  With my performance today, there is no question that I have the fitness to complete my half iron race next month.  This was the final tune-up. I was also proud because one of my college buddies came and watched me race my super sprint in August, and I inspired her to sign up and compete in her first triathlon- this race, in which she finished as well! 




1 comment: